About Trail of BitsTrail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.Role The finance team enables Trail of Bits’ continued success through hands-on accounting and finance practices. We are looking for a government contracts accounting manager to join this team as part of the operations department. Finance is comprised of a mix of accounting professionals who offer a comprehensive approach to helping internal and external stakeholders navigate through the government contracting and client engagement life cycles. The government contracts accounting manager will report directly to our VP of operations and ensure financial compliance with our government contracts. They will be responsible for understanding industry specific accounting standards and providing additional support to our finance accounting team.
- Revenue reconciliation and financial compliance of the company’s research / federal government contracts.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert of all accounting, contracts administration/compliance and other company management to ensure the company’s systems, policies, and procedures comply with federal regulations.
- Serve as the primary liaison to federal agencies and auditors from an accounting perspective.
- Work with external auditors and tax professionals to maintain government contracts (DCAA Audit Ready, FAR, CAS, GAAP compliance) and ensure a successful audit process.
- Calculate overhead rates, payment application, cost accumulation, timekeeping and labor distribution and unallowable costs.
- Partner with the company’s research & engineering (RE&) practice to provide accounting support (e.g. month-end closing activities).
- Provide technical compliance guidance with generally accepted accounting standards.
- Coordinate and supervise government contract revenue reconciliations and payment collections.
- Maintain the time tracking system and labor distribution models for posting to the general ledger.
- Lead the development of incurred cost proposals (ICP) and calculation of indirect overhead rates.
- Research accounting compliance issues of federal contracts, reporting any compliance issues to VP of Operations.
- Maintain financial system data to comply with government regulations.
- Perform month-end accounting procedures for the R&E practice.
- Track the status and amortization of capitalized R&E project costs.
- Support AP/AR and payroll as needed.
- Minimum 7 years experience in accounting or auditing required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. finance or equivalent of education and experience. sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job may be considered.
- Previous experience working for and consulting with a federal government contractor.
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) experience.
- Experience auditing federal contracts.
- Knowledge and understanding of a general ledger system and interrelationships between accounts, cost centers and profit center.
- Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) experience.
- Proven expertise with GovCon accounting.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets and Unanet required.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to operate independently in a deadline-driven environment.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
Benefits for US Employees
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through JustWorks.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and a free One Medical membership.
- 3-4 months paid parental leave.
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment.
- Moving expenses: $5,000k one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers and above.
- Options for coworking space (some restrictions may apply).
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year.
- 14 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
- Manage your student loans right alongside your 401(k) in Betterment.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusionTrail of Bits is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can thrive and be themselves! We welcome all persons into our community. We embrace the diversity of gender, gender identity or expression, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental disabilities, medical condition, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, marital status, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, or perceived membership in any of these groups.