About KrakenAs one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide – our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.Overview of the roleThis role is based in Canada. As the designated Compliance Officer, you will be responsible for Kraken’s compliance with all applicable requirements under Canadian law, and support the firm in identifying and managing regulatory risks. You will build and manage a small team to ensure that Kraken maintains good regulatory standing in Canada.The ideal candidate should have experience leading in a high-growth, fast-moving fintech or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of requirements applicable to activities under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (“PCMLTFA”), consumer protection rules from the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (“FCAC”), the Canadian Securities Administrators (“CSA”), as well as other Canadian crypto asset and sanctions based regulatory frameworks. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in ongoing regulatory and policy discussions in Canada with respect to crypto assets. They will also have prior regulated crypto services experience.
- Build and advocate for a culture of compliance within the entire organization and ensure appropriate resources are available to support compliance requirements.
- Be responsible for the ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements, and provide strategic insights, guidance, and decisions on compliance matters to protect our company, products, and our customers.
- Be the primary compliance contact with all regional external partners and maintain partner relationships.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective risk monitoring programme. Coordinate and/or actively contribute to global and/or regional risk assessments across various areas of risk, including products, services and delivery channels; client and business relationships; geographic locations; new developments and new technologies; affiliated entities and identified high-risk areas.
- Monitor internal and external business, regulatory and technology environments to identify new or emerging risks and verify remediation of issues as applicable.
- Be responsible for the submission, or in some instances the oversight of any relevant regulatory reports/ad-hoc filings, transaction reporting, STRs/SARs, LVCTRs and any other applications or other filings submitted by Kraken to any relevant local regulatory authority.
- Develop, implement and oversee the Compliance Management Programme, and maintain internal compliance policies, procedures, and processes consistent with regulatory expectations.
- Oversee the implementation of new regulatory requirements as they arise and assist with horizon scanning for future regulatory requirements (in close cooperation with colleagues from the Strategy, broader Compliance colleagues and Regulatory Legal teams).Coordinate and liaise with Kraken Global Compliance to ensure alignment between global, regional and local compliance policies, procedures, and operations.
- Work closely with the Managing Director of Canada and regional leadership to ensure close alignment and operational compliance efficiencies for regional group entities are implemented.
- Support the Product Team for any new product roll-out in the region, by advising on the compliance impact and advocating for compliance controls necessary for a successful and compliant product launch.
- Provide internal training as required. Recommend enhancements to global compliance training programs to support regional regulations and overall policy requirements of Kraken Global Compliance.
- Support regional marketing and brand development efforts by advising on the compliance impact and advocating for compliance requirements associated with business and brand development, and advertising under applicable regulations.
- Ensure ongoing maintenance of any regulatory licenses and/or registrations required within your region, this includes proactive identification of future regulatory registrations or licenses.
- Evaluating processes to identify compliance risks and implement actions to address them, includes engaging with product teams, strategy teams, and other regional compliance officers to assess risks, identify opportunities, and develop documented action plans with target deadlines.
- Collaborate with regional compliance officers and Global Head of Compliance to enhance exam and audit management programs to ensure consistency in communication with all stakeholders globally, including external third parties, consistent delivery of responsive documentation, and tracking/reporting of identified findings and remediation efforts.
- Coordinate, manage or contribute to independent assessments and examinations of both the regional and global compliance programmes.
- Clearly and timely communicate findings, self-identified risks, determinations and recommendations to management and stakeholders, both at periodic intervals and as needed regarding escalated or high-risk compliance issues.
- Undergraduate degree (relevant advanced degrees, such as J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred but not required).
- Advanced professional certifications such as "CAMS", "CFE", etc. are preferred but not required.8+ years in a previous regulatory or compliance managerial position at a fintech or financial institution, or regulatory institution.
- Previous experience in filing regulatory reports and providing compliance oversight is essential.
- Knowledge or experience dealing with local regulators and agencies, including Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (“FINTRAC”), the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada ("OSFI"), the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation ("CDIC"); the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada ("FCAC"); Canadian Securities Administrators(“CSA”) and/or the Ontario Securities Commission (“OSC”), or sanction related regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrable prior experience in relation to the regulation of crypto asset services in Canada or a similar regulatory jurisdiction is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Canadian regulatory environment, developments, and licensing requirements – particularly related to Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (PCMLTFA) and consumer protection rules under Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC), as well as sanctions based regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Canadian crypto asset regulatory environment and developments, Broker-Dealer regulatory environment and developments, and relevant registration and licensing requirements for crypto and adjacent financial services.
- Tactical experience on how to manage independent audits and regulatory examinations.
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups.
- Experience developing policies and procedures that ensure hyper-growth innovation is advanced compliantly.
- Additional languages are a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and/or passion for crypto preferred.
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background. As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws. Stay in the know