At Electric Coin Company, we’re on a mission to empower everyone with economic freedom and opportunity. We believe that by building strong, usable, and secure cryptography, we can give everyone the tools they need to control access to their own private information and to transact freely without fear of judgment or censorship. That’s why we invented and support Zcash, a privacy-preserving digital currency.
Zcash users entrust our software to keep their money and private information safe, so it’s essential for Electric Coin Company to have a strong internal security program. We are looking to further our commitment to security by hiring a Director of Security with world-class skills in security analysis and secure software development practices.
As the Director of Security, your first task will be to become deeply familiar with our existing technology stack and risk assessment work. You will then use that knowledge, your expert knowledge in several critical technical fields, and your strong communication skills to help guide our organization towards appropriately-secured solutions.
We’re looking for a collaborative, humble, self-starter who can come onboard and make an immediate impact.
More about the Role…
As Director of Security, you will lead all our security efforts, including typical web-presence security as well as protocol-related security efforts. You will be expected to be hands on individual contributor as you build out and structure the security team. You will use your strong communication skills to create a common understanding of the technological risk that our systems face.
You will use and expand your expert knowledge of security in multiple languages and environments as you work with our development teams on a variety of security topics from core protocol design to wallet applications to middleware security and privacy. You will work directly with our Head of Engineering to ensure that any needed security-related updates are coordinated and prioritized accordingly.
- Identifying the most pressing risks and strengthening our defenses against them.
- Leading Security review efforts of desktop and mobile app source code (C++, Rust, Kotlin, Swift, Python, Go) for security vulnerabilities. Prior familiarity with all of these languages is not required!
- Security incident response, including forensic analysis of malware and affected systems. This role will participate in our on-call rotation to respond to security and operational incidents.
- Implementation of security plans, including incident response, and lead the operational processes for monitoring and maintaining security and relevant compliance covering both product security and Corporate security
- Clear communication of complex technical topics to help set prioritization.
- Understanding and working on the security of our infrastructure and IT systems.
The successful candidate will require at least:
- 3+ years of experience leading senior security engineers and interfacing with C-level executives
- Solid experience in leading incident response and securing corporate IT.
- Strong familiarity with fundamental network protocols, operating systems concepts, cryptographic primitives and protocols, and common classes of vulnerabilities.
- 5+ years of experience performing or leading cryptographic or application security reviews.
- History of discovering cryptographic or application security vulnerabilities.
- Experience interfacing with software engineering teams to provide security input.
- Develop and drive implementation of security strategy and goals in alignment with ECC’s leadership team
- Bonus points for experience performing expert review of cryptographic protocol designs and implementations for security vulnerabilities.
Why take this job? Why not join some other startup? Here are a few reasons:
Electric Coin Company is on a mission to give everyone on Earth an open, secure, and inclusive financial system through the power of exotic math.
We believe in self-care. We commonly move meetings for colleagues’ personal obligations. Your life comes first, however as the leader of Security there is an on call component.
Flexible work arrangements–live where you want and work remotely.
Everything we do is open source.
We have a strong ethos of professional conduct. We’re looking for people who can work in the professional environment we want our company to be in. This means you need the empathy and emotional intelligence to be a supportive colleague and collaborate well with people of widely different backgrounds, personalities, and skill sets.
Detailed Benefits …
- Remote First Culture
- Full premiums paid for all US employees + dependents for all medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Flexible PTO
- Fun Fridays
- Option to participate in a 401k Plan
- Salary Range: $200,000 – $250,000 + attractive incentive benefits
At the end of the day, we’re looking for someone who’s as excited as we are about building the future of cryptocurrency and making use of cryptography as a liberating force. Sound like you? Have questions? Get in touch at .